Monday 23 June 2008

My latest cooking attempts!

This is the Beef and Onion cobbler that I made. It's no Cordon Bleu cuisine, but it was very nice it was good to have a change from spuds, rice and pasta. The scones were more dumpling like than cakey, and for me a little too heavy. But very very tasty. They soaked up some of the sauce which was delicious.

This is the recipe. I was pleased that mine looked fairly similar!
At school, my favourite pud was pineapple upside down cake, but I had never made it. And recently I was looking for sweet puddings to make for the children, especailly while they are younger and need more full fat things. This sprung out at me, and it was from Mrs Beeton's cookbook. It had nearly a whole pound of flour and a lot of butter but has so far served 10 portions, and another 6 portions in the freezer, for when Span and children fancy it next!

There are several puddingy things in Mrs B and intend to try a few over the next year or so.

I think I might have found my cooking passion. I like everyday recipes. Things that I can do on a boring Monday night, or a busy Tuesday. I'm not interested in fancy recipes that need expensive, rare or weird ingredients. Give me something with tinned tomatoes, flour, cream or butter and I am happy!

My new book, coupled with Mrs Beeton will keep me busy for an age and I keep finding things on Blogs that I will try.

I hope I have the time to potter around like this from September!

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I can't wait to try my mini pineapple upside down cake tin- your's looks so yummy I might just try it tonight. I wonder if popping some frozen puff pastry would work on the stew- I remember you saying it was a bit heavy so maybe the pp would lighten it up a bit. It looks yummy!