Tuesday 5 June 2007

Paris Fun - Part 1 - Saturday - Parisian Heaven

I'm just back from a great trip to Paris.

My sister and I had been saying for ages that we should go and take advantage of our parents' flat. So, finally, we did.

My friend Laura and her friend had been saying the same, about going away, so they tagged along too.

We all had really early starts for the first day (last Friday) All of us had to get up before 5... ouch. I flew from Manchester. Laura and Debbie from Coventry, and Bec took the coach from London.

We basically ate, drank, and walked and I did a spot of shopping.

We ate out each evening (3 times) with varying success. And then during the day we just did what each of us fancied.

Saturday was my favourite day. On the Saturday I walked a lot.

We started off going to Galleries Lafayette, but it was hot, busy and too expensive. It does, however have the best perfum/cosmetic section. This is the roof.

My sister wasn't really in the same mood as me, so we split up. I had in my head what I wanted for lunch, which was a baguette with some packet ham in the middle. Cheap but lovely. It took me a fair time to find a supermarket as I was wandering along the road with Cartier, Tiffany, etc. Finally found a Monoprix and I bought my lunch and wandered to the Tuileries, near the Louvre and sat under a tree and read. Seriously blissful.
I then walked around the outside of the Louvre,
towards the river and just walked all the way along. It was a beautiful day, slightly too hot for the jeans and top I wore, but I seriously didn't care. Ahhhhh! I took loads of pictures, but won't bore you with all of them!
I made my way towards The town hall "Hotel de Ville" which was heaving. I aimed for there as I wanted to go shopping at BHV, a pretty good dept store. Sadly, none of the clothes even went over my arms. French women are seriously skinny, and I'm too fat!

I then took my second metro of the day and met with Bec and co, back at the flat. It was a great day. Just me, my feet and a guide book. I've never done it before, and would thoroughly recommend it to relax. Then it was time to get ready for dinner.

We went to eat at Chez Julien, a restaurant which is gorgeous. It is like a little Oasis of sublimity surrounded by a "not so nice area" Typically Parisian mixture of Beauty and Uglyness. Sounds complete ponsy writing that, but it's true! My meal choice was a bit of mistake, but hey, I didn't care. The restaurant was stunning. The first pic is of the ceiling directly above us, the other is the restaurant behind me.
I don't think my pics do it justice at this size, but it was so so good.

We wandered home via a bar across the street from my parent's flat, which was possibly a mistake as I had completely overeaten, but I survived!

More coming, possibly tomorrow as its getting late. I still have Sunday to do....

No comments: