Wednesday 6 June 2007

Paris Fun - Sunday - Montparnasse

After the excesses of the previous day, we decided to take it a bit easier today. I had told the others that I wanted to visit the Tour Montparnasse. Its a relatively ugly tour block, on the south bank (Left bank... I think) which is 212ish metres up, and houses several offices, no doubt.
We got there eventually, after a problem with Metro tickets. Basically, to go on the metro, you need one ticket for one journey. Its simple, cheap and works. No worries about zoning with central Paris at least. Well, we got to Denfert Rochereau station and changed, but then we had to use another ticket. I was NOT amused. My sister said you could see the steam rising! Typical money grabbing Parisian attitude....

Anyway, we used a (wasted) ticket, and made our way to Montparnasse-Bienvenue, and looked for signs. The place was pretty much deserted and my heart began to sink. It was Sunday, after all. We saw the steps up to the entrance and still no one, tried the door and praise be, it opened. We bought our tickets and went up to the 56th floor, in 38 secs apparently!

The view up there is amazing. It's not got the glamour of the Eiffel Tower, but it was aquiet, sedate and extremely pleasant place. I would recommmend it to anyone. It cost us 9.50 Euros. A LOT cheaper than the Eiffel Tower would have been. AND you get views like these...
Jardin de Luxembourg. One of my favourite places ever, and one we visited in February with the children.
A General view, NW I think.
Sacre Coeur, beautiful, but very busy apparently. Laura and Debbie went there, and were possible there when this photo was taken!!
There are other photos but they wouldn't upload. Sigh.
And this is what it looks like from the bottom. Bec said looking up made her feel ill! I was fine though!
We then headed back to very gorgeous shop just down the canal from my parent's flat. Antoine et Lili. I bought a very cute outfit for Jasmine and some very funky overalls for painting and eating. The day before I bought some plates for the children too!

In the evening, we went to "le Chartier" A great resto, where the service is seriously quick, and the food cheap and very very cheerful. The waiters work so hard and fast, and write the recipes on the table cloths. Our total bill was ridiculously cheap and so so good.

Bec and I then headed out for a quick vino or two at a Bar near the flat and then we retired for another early start home (for some) on Monday.

One more post to go. Metro fun.

No comments: