Friday 12 January 2007

Food heaven


One of the reasons I started this blog is because I am about to wean Jasmine. As a lot of people know, the current guidelines are to wean from 6 months. We haven't quite managed that, as Jasmine was almost in tears watching us eat, and is not 6 months old until 23 January. Heck, its a lot later than we managed with the boy.


But, we are trying baby-led weaning. This is a relatively new concept (mainstream anyway), which a lady called Gill Rapley has developed. The basic premise is that you give your baby the ability to chose what he or she wants to eat, rather than spooning puree into their mouth. I will be mostly giving Jasmine finger food, while lurking close by to make sure she doesn't choke. Gagging is fine, apparently... oh the joys. www.babyledweaning.com is brilliant for advice and anecdotes.


This evening I gave her sweet potato wedges (Os had them too) and she loved it. It was very messy. Weare having grip issues,though, as she can't manage to hold onto the food properly. She lost her temper I think, when she was watching Os eat, so I gave in and held the wedge in front of her and she launched herself at it with gusto. For records, she probably ate about 20% of what I put in front of her... a good start.


We have a Stokke Tripp Trapp highchair, which is great, but has no tray. This means she is up at the table with us, but I'm not sure she is as comfortable as she could be... I need to work on this I think.


I'm not sure what to try tomorrow. I'm taking things very slowly until she is 6 months, but am thinking carrot next .

1 comment:

Lindy said...

As you know I've tried doing this w/ Squidgyboo but as soon as she takes I bite I reach into her mouth and swipe it out!! Kinda of defeating the purpose. I read somewhere that the cheap Ikea highchair is GREAT! comfy, easy to keep clean and small. If I had the room I'd pick one up myself.