Sunday 19 August 2007

Fruit, Veg and Principles

Today I planned to go to an Allotment Fruit and Veg Sale. Sadly, it was a little bit too popular so there was hardly anything left by the the time got there! We did buy a marrow, some apples and then some hastily picked shallots! And all the money went to charity.

I'm getting really into ethical, and enviromental eating, if that is a term! I am trying to buy local produce, avoid the supermarkets, and eat "happy" food. It does work out a tiny bit expensive, but the quality we get these days is great. I'm debating whether to try an avoid supermarkets for a whole month. It will be a little difficult, and will take a bit of effort, but I know it is possible. My first thing is to avoid Tesco. I disapprove of the monopoly they have over the UK. So, we'll see how I go. The veg sale today was supposed to be start! Back to the drawing board on that one, then!!

My dream is to have fruit and veg growing in our great garden. I just don't know if I can manage it, as my life is so busy with children, house, study etc. Perhaps I need to prioritise it, and get some ground ready to plant things in the autumn.

I want to get a good blackberry bush established and perhaps some raspberries. Then some tomatoes, and a good pear tree once we have finished our extension. (next year sometime)

Vegwise I want easy stuff to start with. Perhaps some carrots, and some purple sprouting broccoli, or perpetual spinach. We'll see if I get the time. A couple of years ago I tried some radishes. I saw them sprout and then I checked them the next day some damned slugs had got the lot. Buggers.

I did manage to make some things for free with very few food miles... see next post!

Watch this space

No comments: