Sunday 19 August 2007

Scavenging, Free food, and no food miles

I decided to go and pick some blackberries before the weekend. It was very therapeutic and it was free, picked by me and only from across the road.

Sadly, our apples aren't quite ready yet so I used two from our veg box and stewed them together for about 20 mins, with some sugar. It is DELICIOUS. I gave some Jas and the mess was superb. I have pics, and I will upload them when I am on the other PC.

My other little success was picking up some plums from a tree that hangs over the alleyway next to our house. I literally picked some off the floor. Cleaned them, stoned them and then did as above with a teeny bit of water and sugar. It was surprisingly good. I did try picking some off the trees, but they were just too high. I'm so pleased it worked though. I just need to find some interesting things to cook with all the fruit I'm going to pick over the next few weeks!

There are so many blackberries that go to waste, and yet you can buy them in the supermarket for £2. Now, maybe that is a business opportunity missed!!

1 comment:

Lindy said...

how's it going?? Have you heard of the freegan? They're a weird bunch and I don't think I'll be skip diving looking for M&S food! Good luck w/ the grocery store strike.