Wednesday 5 March 2008

Recipes - Part 1 - Mains

My friends and I often chat about new recipes we like. I'm hopeless at getting round to things, but finally got my act together today, and sorted out a list of my recent favourites.

These ones, I think, are very child-friendly. Mostly because of the pasta, but also because they contain everything they need, including veg, and are soft and very tasty. I found them ideal for grown ups too!

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO PASTA
Found at “A Slice of Cherry Pie” http://www.asliceofcherrypie.blogspot.com/ (i need to learn how to link properly!!)

Ingredients2 chicken breasts sliced into bite-sized pieces
uncooked chorizo sausage cut into rounds about half inch thick
1 red onion, halved and sliced1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 glass of red wine
Pasta of your choice
1. Cook enough pasta for 4 people in salted water and set aside.
2. Fry the chicken in olive oil until just cooked through and remove from the pan. Repeat with the chorizo sausage.
3. Fry the onion in the oil left from the chorizo for a few minutes until it starts to soften, removing any excess oil.
4. Add the pepper and fry for another couple of minutes, then turn up the heat and add the red wine. Allow to sizzle and reduce, then add the tomatoes and simmer until the sauce thickens and reduces.
5. Put the chicken and chorizo back into the pan along with the cooked pasta. Stir everything well and allow to heat through, then season to taste and serve.

Serves 4

FROM TAKE A BREAK MAGAZINE (My guilty secret, but now, I have the equivalent of a whole cookbook from all the recipes I keep from the centrefold!!!)

BACON AND BROCCOLI SPAGHETTI
Serves: 4
Ready in 20 mins
Cals per portion: 710
Total cost £4.30

Ingredients:
350g/12oz spaghetti
350g/12oz Broccoli florets (I just added what I had!)
8 rashers smoked streaky bacon (I used unsmoked, as it’s what we had!)
200ml carton (or tub) of crème fraiche
1tsp Horseradish sauce (optional.. I didn’t!)
150g/5oz Dolcelatte cheese, cubed (I used cheddar!)
2tbsp chopped walnuts (which, again, I left out as we didn’t have them in!

1.Cook spaghetti in a pan of lightly salted water for 5 mins. Add the broccoli and bring back to the boil, then cook for a further 6-7 mins or until the pasta is al dente (I actually cooked the Broc separately as I wanted it softer, for the children)
2. Meanwhile, grill the bacon until crispy, then break into pieces. Drain spaghetti and return to the pan. Stir in the crème fraiche, optional horseradish and cheese. Heat until cheese is starting to melt. Spoon into dishes, and scatter over bacon and nuts. Serve at once. (I just mixed the lot together rather than scattering at the end!)

SO, plenty of variation there, but I wanted to make it easier, and suitable (and palatable) for the children!

SPICY SAUSAGE PASTA

Serves 4
Ready in: 35 mins
Cals per portion: 635
Total cost £5.35

Ingredients
6 spicy pork and sweet pepper sausages (I used whatever was in freezer)
2tbsp olive oil
1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
1 fat red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
400g can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and herbs (I used plain)
2tbsps red pesto sauce
350g/12oz pasta shapes
150g frozen peas
1 ball mozzarella drained and diced (I used cheddar)
Fresh basil to garnish

1. Remove skins from the sausages and cut each into five pieces (I didn’t bother to skin them) Heat the oil in a large pan and fry sausages for 7-8 mins until browned. Remove from the pan, add the onion and chilli and cook for 4-5 mins until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and the pesto sauce, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pan of lightly salted boiling water, according to packet instructions, adding peas for the last 5 mins of cooking. Drain and toss the sauce. Spoon into the warmed heatproof dish, and then scatter with the mozzarella and grill for 2-3 mins until melted. Garnish with Basil leaves and serve.

1 comment:

Lindy said...

thanks for the recipes- I'll be trying them soon.