Friday 18 April 2008

First reserve - Nothing changes!! aka A tale of great woe

So, today, when the postman arrived a special letter arrived (for us) I opened it and I first devastation hit, but then.... wait.... a little blind optimism thrown in, just to keep me on my toes...

Before I tell you what was in the letter, I feel the need to tell you a story!

When I was 10, I applied to attend Private School. This meant, if I got in, I had to leave my primary (middle) school a year earlier than everyone else. This was because I was educated within the London Borough of Harrow, where High School starts at "rising 13" now known as Year 8, a year later than most LEAs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-tier_education is the link that best describes it.

Before I had found out whether I had got through, the schoool announced the annual school trip. Because I wasn't at this stage, in my final year, I was not able to be automatically given a place, but had to sit through a "pulling out of a hat" assembly to see who from the "second to last year" would be given a space on the 5 day holiday.

So, predicatably enough, to my serious dissappointment, I came out 3rd reserve. I don't think I cried more than I did between that day and the school leaving on the school trip. My misery was compounded by the fact that over the course of the next 4 months, not only did I get the place at Private School, but also, 2 children dropped out of the trip, making me first reserve.

Never have I wished illness on anyone more than I did that last week. I had been reassured by various teachers that on several occasions people were offered places at the last minute, but alas, not me. So I cried more.

So, instead of staying in some crummy hostel in North Wales visitng such delights as Bedgelert, Snowdon and slate mines, I went on day trips to London instead (except the first day there were tube strikes so we played sports in the local park... nice) I had a nice time, I have to be honest, but it wasnt the same. And the following year, I was relatively happily esconced at my new school so clearly not able to go!

I don't think I have ever really got over it. Obviously, it hasn't been the end of the world, and I have been to some great places, including North Wales, but I tell you, i was the first to get my letter in about going to Holland with my new school 2 years later! Definitely no homesickness for me.

So, why tell this tale of woe?

Today's letter was about a Nursery Place for Oscar. You can guess what place he got? Yep, we are FIRST on the waiting list.

In actual fact, this particular nursery is apparently the best (I'm yet to visit) but I chose it because it offers full time places. We will get a place at our local school, but as they only offer part time, it would have implications to our costs next year.

So, reassure me people..... will Os get a space?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no!!! I too am always not on the list, but usually I don't get reserve either. I think that may be better as there is no chance so there is no building your hopes up with maybe's.
I've no idea what his chances are but I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Anonymous said...

ooop's forgot i am anon!!
Byrney!!

Lindy said...

keeping my fingers crossed too. Is it Beaver Rd?